After the confident 1.42450 and 1.40650 support breakout, prices haven’t managed to make the same thing with 1.38460 support, and now British Pound market tests the 1.40650 resistance level.
During previous 2 weeks bearish market confirmed its sentiment:
In point 1 prices tested 1.43890 resistance level which showed the interest from institutional players and was marked by VSA Indicator as W1 supply signal. Before that, in point 2, market showed, that there were no strong signs of the imbalance near 1.42450 support level which meant, that big players were not going to change its short positions to long ones.
There was a 1.42450 support level breakout on high volume which again showed initial sentiment of the market. As the result of that breakout, the 1.40650 support level went through as well, and the steady downfall of the market stopped at the level 1.3846.
Points 4 and 5 suggest that minor demand signals and low volatility on the bottom of the market is not the sign of the bearish trend finishing. The beginning of a sideways is possible, which is confirmed by neutral background.
Due to the absence of stronger demand signals on the bottom of the market, now it is too early to speak about the change in GBP market sentiment. In current situation it is important to see how the market will behave near the 1.4065 level and above it, if such situation happens. In case of a supply signal near the resistance, or no demand with a volatile down candle after it, it’s possible to take a short position, but only on weak background.
If there is 1.40650 breakout candle on high volume, it will be the time to start searching for long positions.
GBPUSD H4 – Downtrend and VSA
Having tested the 1.10050 short-term support in the point 1, the Euro went above 1.10440 level, and revealed, that there was no smart money interest near the 1.10684 long-term resistance, which was confirmed by low volumes in the point 2. The point 3 is the place where prices went beyond the 1.10440 level, and above average volume on down candle with the supply from VSA indicator showing the bearish sentiment of the market.
In the point 4 there was the 1.10050 and 1.09590 support breakout on high volumes – the good sign of confident bearish trend. Next evidence of down sentiment of the market is the point 5, the place, where prices successfully tested 1.09590 level resistance – it remained unbroken. Moreover, it was the good place for big players to add to short positions – that’s what they did, as the high volume volatile down candle showed. After that the 1.09150 level was went through, and the market eventually paused its down motions by 1.08380 level.
The current market situation can’t be called the end of the bearish trend due to the absence of the strong demand VSA indicator signals and to weak background.
Undoubtedly, there are demand signals in the point 6 and 7, but the volumes are not too high to be stopping volume and the up candle volatility after it, is around average.
So in the current situation the full picture will be seen at the 1.09150 resistance level. In case of high volume breakout candle, previous short positions should be closed and possibly reversed for long positions. If there are supply signals at the 1.09150 resistance level or low volumes near it as no demand signal, it’s possible to open new short positions or to add to current shorts.
- At the time of entry the background turned to strong. It means that imbalance of supply and demand is now in favor of demand.
- Very strong signal (Major Demand) before the trend changed its direction.
- Dynamic trend turned from red to green.
- Entry – when the background turned to strong and the price didn’t move too far from the dynamic trend.
- Exit after weak signal (Supply) appeared in the chart.
Total: +145 Pips
In the chart we see that mid-term resistance (previous high) was crossed by wide spread up-bar on high volume.
Resistance – this is a level of previous high, many traders bought near the highs and were locked-in when the price suddenly fell. They are now holding out in the hope of reducing their losses. Locked-in traders want only one thing – to get out of the market at a similar price to the one they first started with. Professional traders that are still bullish know this. To encourage these old locked-in traders not to sell, professional traders will mark-up, or gap up the market, through these potential resistance areas as quickly as possible.
In the previous GBPUSD analysis I noticed that the price was approaching Long Period Support and wrote that it is possible that the price starts reaction to the downward trend. Later I saw in the chart strong signal (Minor Demand). There was no high volume bar (effort) which was necessary to pass the support and it was clear that now we should expect prices to go up. It does not mean that this is a good point to go long, because background is still weak. But this would be wise to close short positions in this point.
The price was moving up, but the background was still weak. Therefore I waited supply or no-demand signal (better if it was near resistance) to open a short trade.
I found a good setup in M15 Timeframe:
- The background is very weak.
- Price is approaching Long Period Resistance.
- Here we can see at once several weak signals (supply), price is near the resistance.
- Dynamic trend turned from green to red, entry in up-bar. Stop loss above the resistance, later moved to break-even.
- Strong signal (Minor Demand): in VSA this is a shake-out – wide spread bar on high volume (weak holders are still selling, but strong holders already have bullish view in the market – that’s why high volume and bar closes on the high).
- Exit: Total 67 Pips.
- We have been witnessing as pound was ranging between 1.55 and 1.65 for a period more than 1 month. It was distribution phase where professionals have been distributing their positions to weak holders.
- In the end of distribution phase there was mark-up through upper trading range. Supply signal tells us about imbalance between supply and demand created because uninformed traders are buying in this move. High volume and closing of this bar in the middle says that professionals are busy selling to the weak holders.
- VSA is all about weak and strong signals in the market that we assess looking at overall picture. When the price comes to lower trading range, we see wide spread down bar. High volume and weak background tell us that this was a genuine break-out.
- Again we see high volume down bar before the price breaks support (previous low).
Now the price has come to another support. At the moment we do not see supply signals. Background is still weak. We need to wait further development because there is possibility that the price will start reaction to the down trend.